Monday, February 2, 2015

This week was so good!

So this week was for sure one of the best weeks of the mission.  It was so good but anyways, I´ll save the super super good stuff for the end.  So we´ve been teaching two young men, Ke. and Kl.  They´re brothers and their cousin was baptized a few months ago so we have been teaching them.  They are so funny!  I bust up every time we´re over there.  They´re the kind of kids who just make the stupidest comments but in such a funny way haha.  We were teaching the word of wisdom and we were like the five things that we shouldn´t put into our bodies is drugs, alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea.  And Kl. was like well we probably shouldn´t eat nails either.  And he was so serious about it.  We couldn´t help but burst out laughing, and then we explained that that would fall under the "wisdom" category haha.  Idk, it´s just little comments like that.  So this Wednesday we had a fireside where President Soares was supposed to come and speak but he ended up forgetting.  So that left us with a chapel full of people with no speaker, so who do we turn to?  Yep, the missionaries haha.  They asked us all to give a short little talk/testimony.  So I got up and gave about a 5-7 minute talk on the importance of realizing the Lord in everything we do and always pray to him for help.  It went pretty well I think. 
         So we were at a house of an investigator who had a guitar so I picked it up and played Drifting and everyone thought it was super cool.  Now almost every house we go to my comps ask if they have a guitar for me to play for them.  It´s a little obnoxious but it does feel good to play again.  We found an investigator named P. when we were doing street contacting.  He´s super awesome.  We´ve had three lessons with him and he came to church and loved it, he´s already planning on being baptized in about a week or two.  During our second visit we were just talking to him and he said the first time he saw me he was pretty sure I was American because I`m tall and blonde.  Which is pretty normal because everyone thinks that.  But then he said when he heard me talk he wasn´t sure because he said my Portuguese was pretty much the same as a Brazilian, accent and all.  I was like, “Wow that´s cool, do you really think so?”  But in my mind I was like, “WOO! THAT`S WHAT`S UP!!  FINALLY MY HARDWORK IS PAYING OFF!!!!”  But I´m extremely humble and such so I kept that to myself ;)  Haha I think I get my humility from Taggart ;)  I can honestly say the language is still freaking hard.  I still don´t understand everything and it´s tough for me to speak but it´s good that other people seem to understand me.  I still have a lot of time left to improve my language throughout my mission so I´ve just gotta keep working hard with it.
          Alright now we´re getting to the good stuff.  We had 4 baptisms yesterday!  We baptized Ke. and Kl., and another investigator of ours, G., and a 15 year old girl, E..  It was a super good day.  We had 4 different people to baptize them all.  I baptized Kl., Elder Muñoz baptized G., Elder Shakespear (the other American elder) baptized E. and we got the cousin of Ke. and Kl. to baptize Ke.  It was awesome and all of their families came even though they aren´t members.  We´re going to try to start teaching them now.  That night I went with Elder Gibson and Elder Shakespear to help the sisters out in the next area over with a less active who wanted to talk to elders.  He was baptized about ten years ago but never really got over his addiction to cigarettes.  He knows it´s all true and he feels super guilty because he says he knows it´s true but he´s still sinning but he can´t help himself.  Addictions are super sad.  We´re going to try to keep helping him as much as possible but it´s pretty tough because he lives really far away and it´s not in our area.  I did take my first packs of cigarettes from someone so that was pretty neat. 
          Anyways, Sunday rolled around and we went to church and in sacrament meeting the bishop and 1st counselor asked me to help them with the confirmations of the new baptisms.  It was the first time I have ever confirmed anyone and I was super worried I would mess up the wording of it but I did it and it was really good.  It was testimony meeting and I had the feeling that I should get up to bear my testimony so I did.  It was good I teared up a bit because I´m a baby haha.  But it was good.  It was the first time I´ve teared up while bearing my testimony in Portuguese.  I guess it´s a good thing because I´m focusing more on the feelings rather than trying super hard to speak.  It´s getting a little more natural.  After Sacrament meeting we had two more baptisms.  Two young women who were baptized before but the church lost their baptismal records so they had to be rebaptized.  I´m not sure how the records work in heaven but I´m counting it for me haha.  I baptized one named S.  Her middle name is Caroline which is a pretty normal name here but they usually pronounce it Caroleeny.  So I was saying her name to baptize her and I said Caroleeny and one of the family members that was there yelled and was like "It´s CaroLINE!!!"  And I was like geez!  My bad, you choose now to have a normal sounding name?? Haha so I restarted right quick and got it right the second time haha. 
           So I just want to throw this in, a member shared this in his testimony yesterday and it really stuck out to me.  He said he was serving his mission and he was teaching a lesson and he asked for the investigator to bring him a cup of water so she did but then he said he wasn´t thirsty any more.  So she took the cup back.  Then he asked again, so she got another cup for him but he didn´t want it again so she took it back.  He did it two more times until finally he asked for a cup of water and the lady was like no, because you won´t drink it.  and then he compared it to how we ask the Lord all the time for blessings and he gives them to us but we don´t always want to receive them.  Why would the Lord keep bringing us blessings if we aren´t willing to receive them?  I don´t know, just a little something for you guys to chew on as you go about your week.  But anyways that about sums it up for this week, I love you guys!  Have a great day!  The church is true!

Elder Harris #2
Our district

 

No comments:

Post a Comment