Saturday, June 27, 2015

Bonfires and Fireworks!

Hey everyone!  So this week has been pretty good.  We have once again been pretty busy getting ready for transfers next week but I´m getting better at organizing everything that I have to do so it´s been better.  We haven´t been able to leave to work a whole lot this week which is the thing that I dislike the most about the office.  We have been working on finding new people to teach.  But it´s been really hard this week because of a holiday here called São João.  It was on Tuesday but the celebration lasted pretty much all week.  It was really cool I´m not gonna lie.  Everybody here was lighting off fireworks.  Like the cool ones because there are no restrictions here.  Maybe there are but I don´t think they do anything about it.  And almost everybody lights bonfires in the streets here to celebrate.  Like every street you could look down and just see bonfires lining the streets.  Like I said I thought it was really cool.  I was super bummed because I left my camera home so I tried to take some pictures with my cell phone that I use here but they didn´t turn out too well.  I´ll still send a few of them.  But it was still really cool!  There were constant fireworks going off all night, like you could hardly distinguish one from the other, they were just continuous.  The bad part was the smoke.  There was so much smoke from all of the bonfires and fireworks it made it pretty hard to breathe.  Elder Durê has really bad allergies too and he wasn´t doing too good so we had to go home early that night.  But even in our house we don´t have glass windows.  We just have wooden shutter things that close just enough to block the light and rain but not the air.  There was so much smoke.  It was like when you´re at a campfire and the smoke keeps blowing in your face so you get up and move to another spot but you´re just so beautiful that it still follows you.  Maybe that´s just a problem that I have ;) But yeah it was like that.  No matter where you went you couldn´t get away from it.  The city looked like it had just been bombed or something.  But like I said, I thought it was awesome haha.  I was walking around snappin’ pics left and right haha. 

So as for the actual missionary part of my life.  We´ve been teaching a girl named R.  She´s about 16 and we met her last week.  She´s really great.  We´ve been teaching her about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon and she has been progressing really well.  The only problem is she has some problems at home and her parents don´t like us and they don´t want her to have anything to do with us.  But we´re going to keep working with them all and see what happens.  We got a new companion who will be staying with us until the transfers next week.  His name is Elder Concha from Peru.  He´s way cool, I like him a lot!  But that pretty much sums it up for this week.  I hope you have a great week!  I love you all!  A igreja é verdadeira!

Elder Harris

Pics 1,2,3 - A bunch of fires from Tuesday

Pic 4 - Brasil and Paraguay have a big soccer game today and Elder Durê is half Brazilian half Paraguayan so we´re reppin’ Paraguay haha





No comments:

Post a Comment